Homepage / Community / Hangout / 1961 bookshelf vs 1723 Bookshelf S Thx?

1961 bookshelf vs 1723 Bookshelf S Thx?

Mike Berdos
Community Member

The LS3/5a has been in production over 40 years.   There are still about five companies making them.   But they don’t play loud.  And they don’t have any bass.

But people like the big image.

The 1961 bookshelf has the big image and people do like that about it.

When you bump up to the 1723 S bookshelf you get a little move bass.  And a little more volume.

My question for those of you who have heard both:

When you go to the 1723 do you lose more of that ‘huge image’ than you gain in bass and volume?   Do you lose something in the ‘big image’ department when you go to the 1723 from the 1961?

Are the gains in bass and volume with the 1723 meaningful?

I sure wish I could hear both.

Any comments welcome.

All replies (2)

CY
Community Member

I have not personally heard the 1723 S, but comparing to the 1723 instead carries more “weight” to the sound. If I had the space, I would definitely go with the bigger 1723 instead of 1961.

I’m guessing if you have to sacrifice speaker placement due to tight space… 1961 is a better choice.

PS, I’m very happy with my 1961 set :D. They are backed up by a 1723 2V for bass duty, and gonna get another soon to reduce sub localization.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Mike,

It is actually quite the opposite. The 1723 Bookshelf S sounds much more open with a bigger virtual soundstage.
The addition of better dynamics, detail, and the ability to play more realistically is an added bonus.
It is one of my favorite speakers we make and but since it is a sealed design, it will not cater to everyone.
The bass is tighter and punchier but does not extend as much as a bass reflex design.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club