Homepage / Community / Technical questions / putting together list for new system components, feedback on amps I’m looking at

putting together list for new system components, feedback on amps I’m looking at

JR Williams
Community Member

I haven’t bought anything yet, I’m still assembling the list of speakers and components to buy. I’m either getting 1961 bookshelves + a 1961 center or 1961 monitors + 1961 center. I’m going to get a Yammy RX-A6A for my AVR. But I’d like to get something dedicated for 2 channel audio listening. I have a Leak CDT on my list, but don’t know which of their amps to get.  I know the Leak Stereo 230 is a lot more powerful, but how would the 130 perform at moderate volumes? The 130s only 65w at 4ohms and I know the 1961s can use power. I don’t want to underdo it, but I also don’t want to spend $500 more on the 230 unless it would make a really big difference for 2 channel listening.

Thanks.

All replies (13)

Lukas
Customer Support

Hey JR,

Will this be a different system in another room?
How big is the room?

JR Williams
Community Member

The room’s 13×10 with 8 foot (2.4m) ceilings.  This is the only room that will have a setup in it. I was pondering over the 1961 towers, after watching afew YT videos I really started to fall in love with them. But, I have a bed in here and the height of the bed and mattress would block a good portion of the towers. So those probably wouldn’t be the best way to go here.   I do have a tower question, if towers were a few feet away from the bed, would the bed and mattress blocking them make a big difference? I know you need a clear line of sight with the tweeters. And I’m assuming it would be similar for speakers, but I don’t know for sure.

arkmann

Wouldn’t go with the towers since positioned on the floor they will have a set height you can’t adjust.  With the wall-mounted monitors you can position them to align with your listening position on the bed and can adjust up or down as needed.  Will also save valuable floor space which you can use for the sub(s).

Lukas
Customer Support

Hey JR,

Do you want to install two separate systems in that small room? I would rather recommend only having one system, that does it all.

As long as the top three drivers of the 1961 Towers are not blocked you are good. The lower two offers do not matter in that case.

neil-h
Community Member

Hi JR

I am now using a Hegel H190 and it pairs very well with the Arendals (I have the 1723 Monitors) and there are no issues/shortage of power. Extremely detailed amp, excellent power, dead quiet black silent passages. Not bright on the high end, excellent through the mids and extreme bass driver control. It was well worth the high cost. Would do it all over again.

kurt-de-keersmaecker
Community Member

@Neil, I’ve also been looking at the Hegel 190 for stereo listening. Do you use your system only for music or is the Hegel combined with a receiver for HT?

neil-h
Community Member

Hi Kurt

The Hegel H-190 is geared towards 2 (2.1 as well) channel listening. It initially appeared expensive to me but thought I would give it a go anyway. I’ve never looked back and would do it all over again. Initially, I was using an older NAD C-370. When hooking up the H-190, the base did not seem as predominate. In reality, what I found, and the reviewers all said this, it is a “neutral” sounding amp. It does not add or detract, just faithful to the recordings. The NAD “added” more base. Point being, if you like neutrality, the Hegel is for you. Don’t get me wrong, if there’s bass in the music, the Hegel will play it deep, with authority, and the “control” people say the Hegel has on the woofers/sub woofers is incredible. My NAD did not exhibit this level of control. I also use my Marants CD player as a transport and the Hegel’s internal DAC. The Hegel’s DAC is much better sounding than what’s in the Marants. I have no experience with any other external DAC so I can’t comment on that. I’m responding in the most unbiased way so as not to mislead you. If you need any other info, let me know. You can always give the Hegel a try and return it if it doesn’t fit your taste.

neil-h
Community Member

Sorry Kurt, got carried away in previous comment. I use it only for 2 channel stereo listening, not combined with anything else.

kurt-de-keersmaecker
Community Member

Hi Neil, thanks for your feedback, very helpfull. I currently have a 5.1 system powered by a Yamaha RX-A2080 receiver. It sounds amazing for HT but for music listening I feel it could benefit from a dedicated amp for the L/R channel. So I’m looking at the Hegel 190, the Musical Fidelity M6si, the Yamaha A-S2200 and the Gato AMP150.

neil-h
Community Member

Hi Kurt

When spending lots of money, buy and home demo them if you can. I did this and yes, it can be a pain with shipping back and maybe a few lost dollars here and there but the reward is worth it. Take your time with the process as well.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club