Homepage / Community / Technical questions / Subwoofer for small room to complement wall speakers

Subwoofer for small room to complement wall speakers

Christopher Riebel
Community Member

Hi all, I am currently remodelling my room and am now using my former rear speakers as fronts. They are the AP On-Wall 2. I am very happy with the speakers as they play very fine and clean. But they lack power in the lower range.

I will use the LS for my PC setup and music streaming. Sometimes I will also use a TV, which I plan to attach to a rolling TV stand.

My focus is on music and I want the subwoofer to complement the speakers perfectly so that the sound is not distorted.I was thinking of a 1961 1s or 1723 1s in my room. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

This is my room:

my room

All replies (17)

Christopher Riebel
Community Member

I need to add that it’s important to me that the subwoofer plays really well, especially at low to medium volumes.

Lukas
Customer Support

Hi Christopher,

You have a very small room, so my recommendation would be to go with the 1961 Subwoofer 1S.
Also: be as flexible as possible when it comes to subwoofer location. This has the biggest impact on sound.

Additionally, when you listen to low volumes, it is recommended to get an AVR or amplifier that has some kind of dynamic loudness function. This will help a lot making the sound full and detailed when listening to low volumes.
You should make sure to get an AVR/Amp with an active crossover, so you can route the low bass to the subwoofer and free up your main speakers, and have proper time alignment.

Christopher Riebel
Community Member

Hey Lukas

thanks for your recommendation!

Are the differences in music negligible between 1961 1S and 1723 1S? Size-wise, the two don’t have much in common. Or would the 1723 1S simply be overkill?

I was thinking about getting a NAD C 700 / M10v2 or Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. I’ll have to check whether these devices offer this. Atm I got a NAD T778 in my room, but thought I don’t need this big one anymore cause of stereo.

Lukas
Customer Support

The 1723 Subwoofer 1S is better in terms of precision and the ability to just disappear into the room. But is also more expensive and bigger. I would always prefer the smaller subwoofer if it means you are more flexible with position.
If both subwoofers will fit in any location and you want the ultimate sound quality then the 1723 Subwoofer 1S is for you.

What speakers do you have at the moment? I did not find anything when googling. maybe Piega AP 1.2???

The NAD and Lyngdorf you mentioned have all active crossovers, room correction, and time alignment. That is definitely great to have. But I do not think they have loudness functions. But you could set a custom EQ for listening at low volumes.

Christopher Riebel
Community Member

Super difficult to decide because it’s impossible to judge which one harmonises better with my speakers. Sorry, I think Audio Physic is more known in Germany. My speakers are the Audio Physic On-Wall 2, here you can have a look at them http://www.audiophysic.com/en/product/classic-on-wall/.

The UVP is 2.190 euros, so they are not cheap for wall speakers. I would say that the LS are pretty good, also huge for on-walls.

Used some Audio Physic Avanti before and they are not much worse. They just lack power in deep sounds.

Christopher Riebel
Community Member

There are actually only two places for the subwoofer, next to the desk or directly opposite it. These are the dimensions of the 1961 1S in the planning above.

Lukas
Customer Support

It really depends on what you are looking for. If both subwoofers fit in the locations you have available, it comes down to budget and personal preference.

In terms of output and extension, both are pretty similar. The 1723 Subwoofer is a little more understated, whereas the the 1961 Subwoofer 1S is a bit more enthusiastic, a little bit more show if you will.

The 1723 Sub 1S has a better transient response and sounds a bit more flat and balanced. With music, this would be my choice. I personally like those attributes also with movies, but some people might prefer the more spectacular character of the 1961 Sub 1S.

Christopher Riebel
Community Member

Both subwoofers fit on the available locations. I am also a fan of clear, tight bass. I think it’s important that the sub is fast when listening to music. The 1723 S1 probably fits better into the overall package.

Sorry, I didn’t see that you are also from Germany. So maybe you do know Audio Physic.

Thanks for your help!

Lukas
Customer Support

The 1723 Subwoofer 1S will be better overall with music. But be aware, your room will influence the sound of a subwoofer the most. In some rooms, it is impossible to get “fast” bass, as the bass has a very long reverb time.

Sure I know Ausio Physic. They make good stuff.

Christopher Riebel
Community Member

So I guess there’s nothing like trying, regardless of whether it’s 1961 or 1723.

I will place an order later today :)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Exciting News! We’ve transformed our Community into the exclusive Arendal Sound Club! Dive into a more engaging way to connect with fellow audio enthusiasts and enjoy special, members-only benefits. Best of all, you can continue using your existing credentials. Visit Club